As we celebrate Ohr Torah Stone’s 30th anniversary, we proudly mark our pioneering achievements in the realms of women’s studies and women’s rights in Judaism, the relationship between observant and secular Jews, and the role of the contemporary Jewish leader in Israel and the Diaspora. Together, we have reached this milestone; together we will continue to build. And together we will celebrate the impact OTS has made on the Jewish world, through this thought-provoking trip to Germany and Israel.
Join Rabbi Shlomo Riskin on this once-in-a-lifetime journey of Jewish renewal!
A country with a rich history and a painful past, Germany evokes powerful emotions. It is not only the symbol of the darkest annals of our history, it is also the birthplace of Ashkenazi Judaism. Heritage sites and national landmarks pay tribute both to deep Jewish roots and to the worst anti-Semitism the world has ever known.
Today, in deﬁance of Hitler and against all odds, a Jewish renaissance is taking place throughout Germany. Join Rabbi Riskin on a once-in-lifetime journey through the complex history of Germany – the third largest Jewish community in Europe – and witness the extraordinary impact OTS graduates are having in its rejuvenation.
Such an emotionally-charged trip can only culminate in the Jewish homeland. The second leg of our journey will take us to Israel, where we will bridge all we experienced in Germany with the very embodiment of Jewish resilience and the cornerstone of the Jewish future.
Read Rabbi Riskin’s letter, “Why Germany?
GERMANY: RICH ROOTS AND REVIVAL – MAY 19-22, 2014
Experience the stark contrasts of Germany’s historical landmarks and Jewish heritage sites through the eyes of Rabbi Riskin, top historians and tour guides. Highlights:
- In Munich, trace the rise of the Nazi party by visiting the Munich locations where the seeds of Nazism first took root, followed by a visit to the new Ohel Jakob Synagogue and the Jewish Community Center, symbols of Jewish revival. A trip to the Olympiapark will enable you to pay tribute to the 11 Israeli athletes murdered in the 1972 Olympics.
- Visit Dachau, the first of the Nazi concentration camps in Germany.
- Travel to Worms, where our greatest Biblical commentator, Rashi, wrote and taught his transformative insights.
- In Mainz, learn about the life of Rabbeinu Gershom and the revolutionary decrees which forever changed domestic Jewish life, and explore the Gutenberg Press, the world’s first printing press, which revolutionized Jewish learning for the People of the Book.
- In Darmstadt, you will see the unique gardens of the Sisterhood of Mary, Kanaan, which mirror the map of modern Israel, and discover the unique contribution OTS is making to Christian efforts to dialogue with Jews and support the Jewish state.
- Meet some of the extraordinary OTS rabbis and educators working across Germany – and all of Europe – and learn about their important work bringing the light of Torah to Jews everywhere.
- In Berlin, view famous historical landmarks, including Checkpoint Charlie, the Reichstag, the Bebelplatz – site of the infamous 1933 book burnings, the Brandenburg Gate, Paris Square and Holocaust Memorial. Honor the tens of thousands of Jews who were deported from Platform 17, visit the infamous Wannsee Conference House, and explore Daniel Libeskind’s Jewish Museum.
ISRAEL: WELCOME HOME – MAY 23-28, 2014
Our group will arrive in Israel at the pinnacle of the Zionist season and unite with a country dotted by blue and white flags and cloaked in patriotism. Highlights:
- Hear world-famous photojournalist David Rubinger recount the eye-opening historical backstories to his unique collection of pictures which comprise the illustrative narrative of Israel and share what was in his heart and mind as he captured the images.
- Tour Ammunition Hill, enhanced by the in-depth explanations of site director Michael Lanir, who was severely injured in the infamous 1967 battle.
- Experience the magic of Shabbat in Jerusalem with Rabbi Riskin.
- Meet Israel’s policymakers, including a personal briefing from Defense Minister Moshe “Boogie” Yaalon.
- Let the architect of the Security Fence, Col. (Res) Danny Tirza, guide you on a tour of its route as he shares the rationale behind its construction and analyzes its efficiency.
- Join OTS’ world-renowned educators on inspirational tours in the path of the Torah and walks in the footsteps of Jewish heroes.
- Learn about ways in which halachic Judaism and science are being synthesized in order to meet the challenges of modern living.
- Gain access to a secret side of Tel Aviv in an enchanting tour guided by pioneer, farmer and veteran paratrooper Abraham Silver.
- Meet OTS students on their army bases and in their schools, visit the OTS rabbis- and educators-in-training, witness the work of OTS Jewish cultural facilitators in the Israeli community centers, and hear from agunot who are being represented by OTS women advocates.
- Be part of the OTS celebration of collective achievement at a special 30th anniversary gala.
- Rejoice in the liberation of Jerusalem with thousands of enthusiastic Israelis on the 47th anniversary of the city’s reunification.
DOWNLOAD FULL TRIP ITINERARY
DOWNLOAD REGISTRATION FORM
Deposit & Registration
Description of the options:
1) Full Package, Germany & Israel: $4185 Includes land arrangements in both Germany and Israel as well as internal flight from Frankfurt to Berlin on Wed. May 21 and international flight from Berlin to Tel Aviv on Thursday May 22. Flights to Germany and fromIsrael are the responsibility of each participant. Participants should plan to arrive in Munich on Monday morning May 19 by 9 AM.
2) Land Only Package – Germany: $1650 Includes land arrangements in Germany and the internal flight from Frankfurt to Berlin on Wed. May 21. Flights to and fromGermany are the responsibility of each participant. Participants should plan to arrive in Munich on Monday morning May 19 by 9 AM.
3) Land Only Package – Israel: $2185 Includes land arrangements in Israel. Participants should plan to arrive in Israel by Friday May 23. Thursday night May 22 at the Inbal is included in the package price.
For your ﬂights to-and-from Germany and/or to-and-from Israel we recommend Claude Hakim at Field Travel in Manhattan at Mrﬁeld@verizon.net or 212-682-2620
Please register and send a $500 deposit per person using one of the following methods:
- Online: Register and pay with MasterCard or Visa online at: www.keshetisrael.co.il/forms/keshet-billing
- Mail: Send this 2 page registration form, completed and signed with a check payable to Educational Encounters International, Inc.(EEII) to: Educational Encounters International, Inc.(EEII), 180 East Prospect Ave. # 142, Mamaroneck, NY 10543
Please include a scan or photocopy of the first page of each passport. Passports must be valid through Dec. 29, 2014 If you are renewing/applying for a passport please complete and submit the registration form with the deposit and forward the missing information later.
Keshet urges you to purchase cancellation insurance and supplemental medical coverage (which covers preexisting conditions). Please note that most insurance policies require purchase within 14 days of your date of registration for the trip. While you are free to purchase insurance from any company of your choice, Keshet has made arrangements with SMS-Travel Insurance Center of Omaha, Nebraska. SMS has over 25 years of experience as worldwide insurance brokers and can help you choose the policy that best meets your needs. Our contact persons are Yonah Engel & Dani Eisenstock: E-mail: email@example.com USA phone: 1-888-747-3773 Mention promo code: KESHET Please note: Keshet cannot accept responsibility for any losses or expenses which you or any member of your party may incur as a result of failure to secure adequate insurance coverage.
Disclaimers & Authorizations
Airline taxes and fuel surcharges are subject to increase without advance notice by the airlines, until the date that tickets are actually issued. We can ticket after we receive full payment from ALL trip participants.The charge for taxes and fuel surcharges will be added to your final bill at the rate known at that time. If these fees increase between the final billing & actual ticketing, we will send a supplemental bill for the increase.
Keshet: The Center for Educational Tourism and Educational Encounters International, Inc. act only as an agent for the tour participants in making arrangements for hotels, transportation, touring, restaurants, or any other services in connection with the itinerary. We will exercise reasonable care in making such arrangements. However, we do not assume any liability whatsoever for any injury, damage, loss, accident, delay or irregularity to person and property because of an act of default of any hotel, airline carrier, restaurant, company, or person rendering any of the services included in the tour. The right is reserved to cancel or change itineraries or to substitute comparable service without notice. The right is reserved to decline or accept or retain any tour passengers should such person’s health or general deportment impede the operation of the tour to the detriment of the other tour participants. Rates are based on standard rooms unless otherwise indicated. No refunds will be given for unused package inclusions.
Itineraries may be altered as a result of security, logistics or weather concerns determined by either Keshet or the contracting group. Costs associated by such changes are the responsibility of the group. In the event of devaluation of the US dollar, hotels and other vendors may add surcharges; Keshet reserves the right to pass such increases on to trip participants. Keshet may use photographs/videos taken on the trip for promotional purposes. If you do not want your photo/ video to be used please notify us in advance.Pricing is based on a minimum number of participants. Should the group number fall below the minimum, Keshet reserves the right to alter the program and/or recalculate the pricing.
Based on double occupancy hotel accommodations; based on a minimum of 40 paying participants. If there will be fewer than 40 participants, the price per person will be adjusted accordingly.
Payment Schedule (per participant)
• $500 registration fee due upon registering
• 50% deposit due by February 10, 2014
• Balance due by April 1, 2014
Cancellation Policy (per participant)
• $250 refund on registration fee through January 22, 2014
• 50% refund on deposit through March 31, 2014 (full trip only, no refunds on German-only or Israel-only trips*)
• No refunds after April 1, 2014
*No-fault cancellation insurance available for purchase upon registration
DOWNLOAD REGISTRATION FORM
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT: ISRAEL +972-2-548-8449David Katz, International Director USA 212-935-8672 David Moss, Executive Director of North America Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgFacebook: www.facebook.com/OTS30th
Join Rabbi Riskin on this once-in-a-lifetime journey.